Sunday, September 28, 2008

Camping!

So, Alan, the dogs, and I finally headed out to go camping again.  It's been a little over a year and we have missed it. Last Labor Day weekend we went to Snow Canyon State Park near Saint George, Utah, and while it was incredibly beautiful it was also bloody hot (100+).  We figured this year we would go several weeks later and surely the temperatures would be cooler.  Well, they were...but not by much (95).  Although I have to say this trip was a lot more pleasant than the last one.  It was just a few hours Saturday afternoon that was a bit miserable, but drinking the vodka lemonades helped us pass the afternoon sweating away.  Plus pulling big red ants out of the dog's paws kept me busy as well as the evil, evil Goat Horns that kept getting imbedded everywhere (nothing like stepping out of your cot onto one of those with bare feet)!! 
We decided that from now on there will be no more camping unless the temps are 85 or below.  We have a trip planned to Death Valley at the end of next month so we will see...
Here are the kids in the x-pen while we are setting up the campsite.  Willy, in the middle, is the mediator since Tug and Lola hate each other.
We got up early the next morning and took a walk before it got too hot.  Here I am standing by some obnoxious looking cactus.  Didn't get to close!
Sunrise Saturday morning
Amazing red rocks
Tug and I staying cool with our vodka lemonades!
Our campsite.  We actually did have three shade trees this time. Made all the difference!
All of a sudden these nasty dark clouds rolled in and the wind kicked up. I thought for sure we were in for a storm or the very least rain, but no.  It just looked spectacular and it helped cool us down.
It's crazy though seeing nasty clouds but yet you look on your other side and the sky is as blue and beautiful as it had been all day!  Not used to that coming from Seattle where the sky color is usually gray and if there are clouds it's raining!
Alan walking back to our campsite.  We packed up pretty early on Sunday and hightailed it out of there.  No sense in sweating out another day.
I want to thank VegasDad for the helpful tip he gave me about putting multiple pictures on Blogspot!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, LOVE the pics! It looks beautiful there. I can't believe you took your dogs though--you are a far better woman than me! One of the reasons I go away on trips is to have a little vacay from them!

Glad you had fun! :)
~Christy

Katy said...

Looks beautiful. Daughter is going to pout for days after she sees these - I am apparently the worst parent on earth because I don't take her camping anymore. Can I fly her down to you when you go to Death Valley? ;-)

I love the pic of Dad walking back to the site on the cracked, dry ground. Very cool!

Jeanne said...

That was a beautiful campsite and great pictures. I could of done without the ants too, poor boys.

Brittany said...

What a fun trip...especially the vodka lemonades! So share the fab blogger picture tip!

Shelly... said...

C--yep it's pretty awesome there! Believe me there were plenty of times I thought why the hell did I bring the dogs!
Katy--she would like DV although if it's over 85 we aren't going!
Jeanne--the boys really hated those ants. They were in pain for a while!
Brittany--since your preggers you can only just imagine how good those vodka lemonades tasted! I will drink plenty for you during your pregnancy. My blog tip was to sign into blogspot draft that way I can put LOTS of pictures in one post instead of just five.

Mike said...

Stunning visuals there! The red ants though sound kind of freaky!

Yo said...

ohmygah, i love your pictures. i love your profile pic in the pool with a drink. that's summer.

i'm totally stalking you since comment stalking you on christy's facebook page.

love LOVE the pics. post more red rocks, please. more rivers. more camping.

or, you know, do whatever you want =) nice to meetcha.

poise. :P